UAMS cares about the health of its employees and we offer employees who smoke or use smokeless tobacco many opportunities to quit. Research shows that the best way for people to quit smoking is through evidence-based smoking cessation programs. In order to expand cessation program use and ultimately decrease tobacco use, several programs that provide tobacco cessation services or one-on-one counseling are available.
Options to Help Quit Tobacco
Get Help Quitting – Free of Charge through your UAMS health care plan! (Employees)
Visit your in-network primary care physician for tobacco cessation assistance at no cost (limited to two visits per year). You can receive Chantix, nicotine patches or nicotine gum by prescription. The office visit requires coding as a tobacco cessation visit for the $0 copay to apply.
Call UMR at 866-575-2540.
Personalized One-to-One Consultations (Employees)
UAMS Tobacco Treatment Specialists (TTS) are available for individual consultations for employees taking the UAMS pledge to quit tobacco or for those wishing to learn more about cessation options.
Call 501-526-5448 to schedule a consultation. This number is for a message only phone requiring the caller to leave their name and a call back number. Callers will receive a response from a Tobacco Treatment Specialist within three (3) business days. Email appointment requests may be sent to LDCullers@uams.edu
What the TTS will do:
- Gather information about the employee’s tobacco history and daily use.
- Provide information about cessation medications/nicotine replacement products.
- Facilitate the issuance of prescription(s) through the employee’s PCP.
- Help the employee identify ways to reduce triggers that motivate the desire to smoke.
- Help the employee develop strategies to change daily routines to break the tobacco habit.
- Provide a written quit plan to guide the cessation process.
- Provide follow-up counseling in person or by phone for duration of cessation plan.
- Provide Certificate of Enrollment to satisfy UAMS Tobacco Pledge requirements.
Quit & Stay Quit Monday – Virtual Tobacco Cessation Group Class – Day/Time TBD (Employees)
- New quit tobacco topic weekly.
- Group led by UAMS Tobacco Treatment Specialist.
- Assistance with issuance of prescription(s) through the employee’s PCP.
- Quit plan provided to guide the cessation process.
- Certificate of Completion provided.
- Enroll by calling 501-526-5448 and leave your name and a call back number.
QuitGuide – Smartphone App (Employees & Students)
Get 24/7 support with a Smokefree app for your smartphone. These free apps offer personalized help based on your smoking patterns, moods, motivation to quit, and quitting goals. Tag the locations and times of day when you need extra support. Available for iOS and Android phones. Available for download from Google Play or the Apple Store. To learn more or to download the app go to https://www.bewellarkansas.org
- The Pat Walker Center (Fayetteville campus)
- UA Little Rock Health Services Center
- The National Cancer Institute Quitline
- The American Cancer Society Quit for Life
- 1-800-Quit Now, National Tobacco Quitline
- BeWellArkansas Tobacco Quitline – 1-833-283-9355
- The American Lung Association – Freedom from Smoking Online Class & Support Group